Kevin Shaw counsels businesses in corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, private placements, equity and debt financings, general business matters, and as outside general counsel. He represents global, national, and regional companies in their critical transactions, appropriately weighing risk, opportunity, and the competitive landscape. Specific areas of practice strength include negotiating and structuring a wide range of agreements: stock and asset purchase, licensing and distribution, manufacturing and supply, master services, software, and shareholder. Kevin also supports clients’ joint ventures and incentive compensation plans.
Collaboration and efficiency are key. My intent is to not only focus on the specific task at hand but to also keep in mind my clients’ long-term goals and objectives.
- Financial Services
- Game Development
- Information Technology
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Professional Service
- Real Estate
- Sports and Fitness
Clients want to know that I care about their matter as much as they do. My clients know that I genuinely care about them and their needs and goals. They know that they are much more than a billing number to me.
I invest time and effort into developing a real relationship with my clients so that there is mutual respect, gratitude, and trust.
I’m pragmatic and able to quickly develop a rapport with the client and their team as well as the lawyers and representatives on the other side of the deal. That usually helps smooth the path to a successful outcome.
Corporate and Business Law:
- Represented a global IT consulting and software services company in connection with negotiating multiple master services agreements and statements of work with Fortune 100 businesses. Client’s liability was limited and its intellectual property rights were protected as a result. Favorably negotiated separation agreements with problematic employee. Represented client in strategic acquisitions of competitors in the United States and abroad.
- Represent a rapidly-expanding national health club, after replacing a large, multi-national law firm, on matters relating to employment and human resources issues and its membership agreements and teacher training agreements.
- Provide service agreements for cloud computing providers to minimize their downside risk if customer data is lost. The structure of the agreements makes it easier for clients’ customers to access their insurance in the event of lost data.
- Represented a global IT provider in connection with negotiating a master services agreement with a Fortune 100 Company, successfully limiting client’s liability and preserving and protecting its intellectual property rights.
- Represented a company developing an iPad application for automotive sales teams with customer agreements.
- Represented a food manufacturer with structuring and drafting a transaction to obtain a competitor’s product line through a royalty arrangement.
- Represented a data center and internet services provider in the renegotiation and documentation of supplier contracts with international communications companies.
Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Represented an aerospace manufacturer in its sale to strategic acquirer. During the course of the transaction, client’s performance improved so dramatically that they considered walking away from the deal before closing. We negotiated an increased purchase price for our client, resulting in a successful close.
- Represented a cloud computing provider in connection with the transfer of the company’s assets to a competitor.
- Represented a national consumer products company specializing in immune support supplements in connection with the sale of its assets to a private equity firm.
- Represented an insurance brokerage company in connection with its merger and management services transaction with competitor.
- Represented the co-owner of a snack food packaging and distribution company in the successful buy-out of the other owner through the restructuring of debt and the restructuring of the LLC owning the business’s building.
- Represented a global information technology and software service provider in connection with the strategic acquisition of a competitor’s assets.
- Represented buyers in connection with the purchase of shares and 9-figure recapitalization of a national consumer products company specializing in immune support supplements.
- Represented an angel investor in connection with equity participation and consulting arrangement with a software and gaming company.
- Association of Surfing Lawyers, Member, 2004 – present
- JURISITIS of 2016 – Voted on by Salt Mine Weekly
- Pepperdine Law Review, Pepperdine University School of Law
- “Buy-Sell Agreements”, Presenter to Northwestern Mutual Veteran Agents
Our litigators protect what our business clients and transactional attorneys have built together.